Five Popular Cocktail Drinks
When it comes to cocktail drinks, there are literally thousands of cocktail drinks you can find all over the world. However, through these thousands of cocktail drinks, there are some that are more popular than others. These popular drinks have literally conquered the world in terms of their popularity on bars and clubs.
In no particular order, we have listed five of some of the most popular drinks from around the world.
- Margarita – this cocktail drink uses the distilled spirit tequila as its alcohol base. It was invented somewhere in Mexico by an American socialite who was currently on tour in Mexico. The margarita is said to be the most widely consumed alcoholic cocktail in the United States as this drink is not only very refreshing, but that it is also very good to the palate. It is said that over 185,000 margaritas are consumed per hour by Americans alone and that the most number of margaritas consumed is during the Cinco de Mayo festival.
- Martini – the martini is made using either gin or vodka as its primary distilled spirit. The martini is one of the oldest alcoholic cocktails around the world and that, to date, it is still very much popular as the day it was invented. Although there is no real definite date of its invention, it is estimated that the martini is nearly 150 years old, the same as that of the Manhattan.
- Manhattan – the Manhattan is made using whiskey as its main distilled spirit. Created in the City of New York, the Manhattan is regarded as one of the oldest cocktail drink around. Similar to the martini, the Manhattan is nearly 150 years old, although there is a distinct possibility of it being older since we really have no means of truly identifying when or where it was invented in Manhattan.
- Mojito – the mojito is a cocktail that makes use of rum as its core distilled spirit. This Cuban drink is very popular as it is very refreshing to drink just like the margarita. This cocktail is actually perfect for beginners as its low alcoholic content is not very intoxicating and thus makes it ideal for those who are just starting to drink alcoholic beverages.
- Cosmopolitan – this cocktail drink uses vodka as its key distilled spirit. Although fairly new and only a few decades old, the cosmopolitan has earned its rights as one of the most popular drinks around the world.